This month brought:
- On January 27th, Harrison spent his first night in his own room - H is sleeping in a crib in the guest room. I feel terrible that his nursery is made up of only a crib, a queen size poster bed, and a night stand, but he doesn't seem to mind. He is doing great! I put him down between 6 and 7 and he sleeps until 11ish when I feed him again. He's still up between 2 and 3 (some nights), but I think that is fizzling out. Then, he wakes up ready to go around 7 a.m. I'll miss the early morning snuggles, but I can't lie...I'm looking forward to a proper night's sleep. In the next few months we're hoping to purchase a sleeper sofa so that we can continue to accommodate guests, but make H's room a little more of a proper nursery. Stay tuned for photos!
- Harrison is now using a scream as method of communication. It is high pitched and brief, but it does a fantastic job of getting one's attention. He thinks it's funny when we all react to it. Not looking forward to him expressing himself this way on our plane ride to Hawaii!
- On January 23rd, Harrison tasted his first food - zucchini and rice cereal. I think he was interested in the concept, but just couldn't figure it out. Since then we've tried carrots, apples, sweet potato, prunes, mango and pears. He's just not into it. He tolerates the mango and sweet potato (i.e., doesn't make a disgusted face and shiver), but after a couple of bites loses all interest. He would still prefer to exclusively nurse. I have to say I'm a little surprised given his...girth? The funniest thing is that he prefers that we sit down with him when we feed him - I'm not sure if he's looking for our complete attention or if he's just a refined little boy? Maybe he'll be the one to make our family meals more routine.
- While he's not really into food, he loves his mesh feeder - likes frozen bananas, ice, and frozen pears. Maybe it feels good on his gums? Boy is it messy!
- Harrison found his foot and seems quite taken with it. He takes advantage of every chance he has to grab on to those toes. Barriers to this feat are not taken so well - for instance, the high chair tray is his worst enemy and socks are promptly removed and flung to the far reaches of the car.
- He seems to be developing some strength because he is definitely sitting up better. His favorite thing to do (other than chewing on whatever he can get his mouth on) is reading lift-the-flap books. His two favorites are Peek-A-Who? and Where is Baby's Belly Button?
- Harrison's first Super Bowl. He chose to support the Broncos and didn't seem too upset by the fact that they didn't play so well. Look at that thigh! It's absolutely edible!